To participate in this class, you’ll need a Slack account and a Github
account. This assignment will get you set up with these.
This counts 50% towards your class participation grade and is
therefore worth 5% of your final grade. You must complete all parts to
What to do
Github is a site for sharing software source code and related items.
You will turn in your assignments via Github.
- If you don’t already have a Github account, sign up
here. (Note: if you already have a Github
account but don’t want to use it, feel free to make a new one for
the purposes of this class.)
- Set up your Github profile, including a photo of yourself.
- When you send me your direct message on Slack (see below), include
your Github username.
- Optional but strongly encouraged: install a Git GUI. Github has
Mac GUIs that you can use rather than the
We’ll discuss Git in class, but if you haven’t used Git before, you
may want to learn about it by reading Git
You should set up a new repository for every assignment.
- Sign up for the class Slack team. To do this, visit
and sign up using your
- Set up your Slack profile, including a photo of yourself.
- Read all of Using Slack and install an app or
some other method of getting notifications.
- Send me a direct message to tell me that you’ve gotten signed up
- Include your Github username.
- Introduce yourself in the
#introductions channel. Include:
- Who you are
- What program you are in (e.g. MS HCI)
- Why you’re in the class
- What you hope to learn
- From now on, send me a Slack message to communicate with me, rather
than email. I check Slack much more often than email.